119th AIA Annual Meeting – Presentation

So the 119th AIA Annual Meeting (Boston) has just finished. We participated in a terrific session, where we listened to fascinating discoveries in Italy. For those of you who couldn’t attend the conference, here is the link to the PDF of our presentation. If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact us! Presentation…

AIA Annual Meeting in Boston

We will be at the #AIASCS Annual Meeting in Boston with a paper titled “Excavations at Podere Cannicci (Paganico – GR). Results of the first season of the Impero Project” (Session 7G – Fieldwork in Italy). Join us on Sunday, January 7!

Testimonial – Constance Champagne (University of Edinburgh)

When I had first signed onto the IMPERO project, I had no clue what to expect. I had never studied archeology or picked up a trowel in my life. Nevertheless, I was always fascinated by history and wanted to get firsthand experience with the past. So, I packed my bags for Italy. Little did I…

Testimonial – Maura Timmons (Michigan State University)

            The Monteverdi archeology field school takes place just outside of Grosseto, Tuscany, Italy. During the duration of the field school, the archaeologists and the students will stay at a beautiful Italian villa, which dates to the 1400s. For the students, it was just Constance and I for the first year, we had our own…

A big thank you!

So the first archaeological season at Podere Cannicci has finished. The experience has been unique and the archaeology at the site has shown all its potential. A quintessential late Etruscan to late Republican settlement, most likely destroyed by a fire during Sulla’s first Civil War. Evidence of a much later occupation between the late Antonine…

Journal of the Excavation (13.06.2017)

Today was the last day of excavations of the 2017 archaeological season at Podere Cannicci. We spent the day removing a new context (28) identified underneath context 25. Once again the deposit was rich in material culture, especially pottery. Although the context can be dated around the 2nd c. BC, a fragment of a possible…

Journal of the Excavation (12.06.2017)

Today we spent the day completing the removal of context 25 within the large drain between the two parts of the complex. Below context 25, a silty/sandy deposit has been uncovered but not yet fully exposed. We also spent part of the morning documenting the forge/kiln discovered on Saturday. In the afternoon we started again…

Journal of the Excavation (10.06.2017)

This morning we started to remove context 25 from the ditched area between the two rooms of the complex under investigation. This context is a deposit of burnt clay and wooden elements (mainly beams) that abuts both walls 15 and 22. In the southern part of the excavation area, close to wall 7, we exposed…

Journal of the Excavation (09.06.2017)

Today we continued to remove context 23, a red deposit between walls 15 and 22 in the northern part of the trench. Apparently the context fills a possible large drain continuing beyond wall 6 towards the exterior. Tomorrow we will check this hypothesis. In the afternoon we are off to Florence for the opening of…

Journal of the Excavation (08.06.2017)

Today we finished to remove context 20 in Room I and then we moved back to Room II where we removed first context 21 and then, partially, context 23. Context 21 was a deposit of black soil, mainly clayish, with large inclusions of charcoal and lumps of burnt materials. Underneath it, a possible earth-beaten floor…

Journal of the Excavation (07.06.2017)

Today we spent the morning removing context 13 from the southern part of the excavation trench and then we continued with the plan drawing of context 20. This is a brownish/dark context covering the extent of this room of the complex. In the afternoon we started to remove it and a nice amount of pottery,…

Journal of the Excavation (06.06.2017)

We spent the morning finishing removing context 12 in the NE room of the complex and we fully exposed an earlier wall which survives in the middle of the room. In the afternoon we started to clean the new part of the trench, just opened yesterday with the machine. This allowed us to detect another…